Foods that prevent Dementia.
When I was a teen a close friend died of Alzheimer’s disease and I can still recall the agony the family went through.
I would always make visits to him while he was in care and what shocked me was the amount of time, he spent talking to himself and not recognising his family members at all. This was devastating.
As time went by his mind wore away. Everything he did was imaginary. Eating, drinking, talking etc. He failed to recognise his close friends too.
These memories were the worst of its kind as dementia is indeed the most fearful and emotional disease anyone can encounter. However, research proves that it is easier to prevent Alzheimer and Dementia but the process of hard work and positive energy is needed.
If there happens to be a family history of this dreadful disease than the first step would be to change the diet and modify it to the best way possible.
Here are some foods you should add into your diet that can help prevent Dementia.
1.Vegetables: Leafy green vegetables like spinach, kale, greens and Broccoli to be precise. These vegetables are high in folate and B9. This can reduce the outset of depression and improves cognition.
2. Beans/legumes: These foods contain folate too as well as iron and magnesium. It helps the body to function well and they also contain B vitamin that boosts the brain to function well.
3. Grains: Whole grains are wonderous for brain function. Quinoa, and Oats are the best. Avoid white bread and sugary sweet cereals.
4. Berries: These contain anthocyanin which protects the brain from deuteriation. They have antioxidants and lots of vitamin and E.
5. Flaxseed: This food is miraculous and should be consumed daily. It has omega 3 in it and the fatty acids help the brain to stay alert and vibrant. Other food with omega 3 would be fish, olive oil and you may take omega 3 supplements too.
6. Nuts: Almonds, cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts and pecans. These contain omega 3 and 6 and has folate in them.
7.Cinnamon and turmeric powder are great for preventing Dementia/ Alzheimer’s. These foods reduce inflammation which generally cause memory problems. It also prevents soother disease like heart disease, cancer etc.
8. Linseeds: These are rich in Omega 3 too. It also reduces cholesterol. They contain chemical compounds called lignans that highly protect the blood vessels from further damage.
9. Herbs: Herbal teas are great! Mint, jasmine, lime rosemary, basil, and thyme. Herbs can prevent Dementia and using in your everyday cooking can make a difference.
10. Sweet potatoes: these foods are high in phytonutrients, fibre and vitamins. They have great effects on the brain as they regulate the blood sugar.
Last but not least having a stress-free life, avoiding toxic foods and caffeine is proven suitable for preventing Dementia.
Encourage individuals by giving healthy talks and tips that can help them maintain healthy lifestyle. Have them learn more about how to manage stress and shun depressive incidents from their subconscious minds. Leaflets should be shared to enhance enough information regarding Dementia and Alzheimer’s. You will be indeed saving a life and, in the bargain, gaining a blissful, healthy and disease-free environment.